For many people, years after they change their plea and are convicted of a crime, they learn that the conviction has an extremely negative affect on their immigration status.

California law allows for someone that is no longer in criminal custody to file a motion to vacate a judgment in a criminal case (a PC 1473.7 petition).

This kind of petition allows the Court to vacate the conviction based on prejudicial error.

In these petitions we typically argue to the Court that had you been aware of what the immigration consequences were, you would not have changed your plea and would have instructed your attorney to prepare for trial or to negotiate another deal.

If an immigration attorney has told you that you need to clear up your criminal history to help with your immigration case, give us a call to discuss your options.